When you associate older people with love, some young people may be dismissive or even dismissive, saying, “You’re this old, why talk about love?” In fact, the love of the elderly has a different taste. The “hand of the son, and the son together with the old” sentiment, is never young people can taste.
If you say, young people are looking for love, middle-aged people are running around is in love hard work, then the elderly are in love with each other to continue to precipitate. Love is conceived in the youth, developed in the middle age, but the real maturity is in the old age.
As the saying goes, “Young couples grow old together, loving couples live longer.” The older you are the more you should cherish and consolidate your love. Older couples should not be separated, but should spend time together, whispering, mutual consideration, mutual concern.
Some elderly people quipped, “The so-called love of the elderly, kissing, are alarmed by dentures.” This undoubtedly implies that the love of the elderly has a great relationship with the physiology and psychology of the elderly.
Physiological and psychological characteristics
With the gradual decline of physiological functions, the brain function of the elderly also has different degrees of degenerative changes, which are manifested in the following aspects.
1. Delayed motor response
The moment the senses such as vision and touch receive external signals, they transmit highly targeted sensory signals to the brain, and after analysis and processing by the cerebral cortex, the feedback signals are transmitted to the motor system and a series of movements occur.
As the sensory system of the elderly ages, the transmission of signals slows down and the response is delayed.
The reaction speed of the elderly is 20% to 30% slower than that of young people and middle-aged people, and there are obvious signs of retardation.
2. Dislocation of memory ability
Human memory will enter a phase of gradual decline after the age of 45, and another phase of significantly reduced memory after the age of 70. Therefore, memory reduction is a distinctive feature of the elderly.
Its characteristics are as follows: (1) comprehension memory maintains better, mechanical memory declines significantly; (2) recall ability declines significantly, but recognition ability declines less significantly; (3) memory speed slows down significantly; (4) short-term memory ability declines significantly; (5) distant memory is good, but near memory declines.
3. Slow decline in thinking
The decline of thinking in the process of aging appears later, especially the thinking ability related to familiar professions can still be maintained in old age. However, due to the decline of perception and memory, the ability in conceptual, logical reasoning and problem solving will be reduced in the elderly, and what is especially obvious is the agility, fluency, flexibility, uniqueness and creativity of thinking.
4. Changes in personality
Older adults’ values and beliefs are less likely to change, giving them an impression of conservatism. Due to the decline of brain physiological functions, the elderly show a decrease in psychological energy and show passivity, retreat and slowness in life, which is not negative but an active self-protection. Older adults have learned to spend their limited life energy on the most effective survival activities, which is an adaptive change. Older adults are prone to feelings of depression and loneliness due to the high incidence of declining physiological functions and chronic diseases making them experience frequent somatic discomfort.
5. Emotional characteristics of the elderly
(1) Older people are better at controlling their emotions. Survey results show that older people are more able to follow certain norms to control their emotions than young people and middle-aged people, especially in controlling their emotions such as joy, sadness, anger and disgust.
(2) Older adults experience emotions more strongly and persistently. In terms of emotional experience, due to the tendency of the central nervous system to be overactive and higher arousal levels in old age, the emotions of the elderly show intrinsic, strong and persistent characteristics, especially the intensity of the experience of negative emotions does not diminish with age. Older adults tend to attenuate their emotional responses through cognitive regulation because they are more rational, but older adults experience emotions triggered by negative stressful events much more persistently than young and middle-aged adults.
(3) Some older adults are prone to negative emotions. For example, some older adults may feel a sense of loss and doubt due to changes in their job status, while others may feel anxious, depressed and lonely due to health problems, or even resentful.
(4) The majority of older adults have positive emotional experiences. A survey on the life satisfaction of the elderly shows that, on the whole, the majority of the elderly of all ages are very satisfied or satisfied with their lives. The positive emotional experiences of the elderly are expressed as a sense of ease, freedom, satisfaction and success.
When a person’s body, energy, intelligence, marriage, family, and sense of existence are all gnawed away by time, what else can ignite this body that is about to wither and bring hope for life?
The answer is: love.
The psychological characteristics of love
1. Taste love with ease and truly enjoy life
This sweetness is hidden in the details of the elderly people’s life together, in the infinite warm words, in the mutual support when walking, in the cups of water and spoons when they are sick.
Because of this, the elderly always cherish the fruits of this love that they have carefully cultivated for a lifetime.
They have never been so concerned about themselves and have never cared for their partners as they do today. They are determined to take the path of life to the end, not so much for themselves, but more precisely for their partners, and will not easily let go of their hands.
They are satisfied with the status quo of knowing and keeping each other, and are grateful for the fate.
In the stormy life, in the mixed life, who is who’s guest under the moon, who is who’s beloved, who and who will fall in love at first sight, who and who can accompany each other to the end of the year?
The only thing that counts is a fate. Is this not the case with the love between the elderly? The meeting is fate, love is love, keep each other is love.
2. Mutual dependence, tightly connected to the heart
The love of the elderly has withstood the ups and downs of life and has gone to the heart of each other. Their hearts are tightly linked together, together through the wind and rain, and feel the sorrow and joy of life together. The love of the elderly does not fade with age. If you hold the hand of your son, you will grow old with your son.
3. love is more comfortable, more delicate, emotional expression euphemism and not lose warmth
In contrast to young people, the demand for comfort is becoming stronger and stronger among the elderly. After decades of running around, their physical and mental strength are not as strong as before, their feelings will be more delicate and picky than young people, and they need more love and care. In addition to the filial piety of children and the care of relatives and friends, we should not ignore the love and communication of the elderly. Once people enter old age, their physical strength will be greatly reduced, they can not be as passionate as young people, but they still have the need for this. Some widowed and celibate elderly people like to go to the park or the elderly activity room to chat with the opposite sex, which is a way for them to pursue love.
Older people have their own ways of expressing their feelings, and chatting may be one of them. And some old couples like to sit hand in hand in the sun, or face to face to communicate, which is a kind of intimacy. Love communication among the elderly is mainly based on caressing, by stroking hands, face, etc., in order to achieve the marginal state of friendship and sex both to fully feel the warmth of each other.
(1) In old age, love is after years of wasted time, and the love of the elderly do not seek glory and wealth, not seeking fame and fortune, just want to buy groceries with their partners every day, walking, living a simple and uneventful life.
(2) The expression of love of the elderly is no longer the sensational or you and me, but is reflected in the smallest things in life, such as helping the partner to organize shoes, go out to buy each other’s favorite cupcakes, etc.
(3) The sexual desire of the elderly and the expression of sexual behavior are a physiological and psychological needs, this age of love communication is mainly to caress, by touching hands, face, etc., in order to achieve the edge of friendship and sex can be two states, fully feel the warmth.
— EOF —